Friday, January 21, 2011

One Quarter of a Century Gone By....

    This past Tuesday was my hubby's birthday. He's a quarter of a century. I'm not far behind - only five and a half months to go.
     It's difficult to know what to get for him, and he feels the same about getting presents for me. We try to wait and listen to each other; we want to hear if the other person wants something.... A few days before the exciting event, I overheard him telling his mom that he was just going to have to bake his own carrot cake for his birthday. I was so elated to find something I could do!
    After he left for school, I got to work on the secret cake. Grandma's oh-so-good recipe! When he came home, we said the usual "how are ya?" and then he went straight for the cook books. "You're not allowed to make a carrot cake," I frankly told him. "Why?" "You just aren't allowed to." He got a funny smile on his face. I kept the cake in the oven where I was certain he wouldn't look. His dad made an excellent point later, though, when he said it was lucky my hubby didn't pre-heat the oven. Yeah; that was lucky.
    Thanks to Skype we got to talk with the Hubby's side of the family while he opened presents from his parents. Visiting, carrot cake, a good shirt, and boggle. We just can't ask for more than that. It was a great night.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment